Autism is a spectrum disorder, and though no two individuals have the same autistic characteristics Despite these often vast differences, autism does show many common traits. These are described in this chapter. Please follow the navigation buttons below.
Health and Body
- Walks on toes.
- Unusual gait.
- Difficulty changing from one floor surface to another (carpet to wood, sidewalk to grass).
- Odd or unnatural posture (rigid or floppy).
- Difficulty moving through a space (bumps into objects or people).
- Walks without swinging arms freely.
- Incontinence of bowel and/or bladder.
- Frequent gas (flatulence, burping) or throwing up.
- Appearance of hearing problems, but hearing has been checked and is fine.
- Seizure activity.
- Allergies and food sensitivities.
- Irregular sleep patterns.
- Apparent lack of concern for personal hygiene (hair, teeth, body odors).